Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Packing up...

As we spend a good portion of our day packing, I've been reflecting on our trip - what we learned, the highlights and lowlights, how far we've come in five weeks.  My mind is working in lists again as I am organizing our belongings for the plane ride home. I thought it fitting to write a list of some of our Hong Kong reflections:

1. It's nice to be greeted every time we leave and return to our building...and holding the door open, being patient with the kids, and helping us translate for the taxi drivers was a nice bonus.

2. I like being able to see over crowds.  At 5' 2", I don't get this opportunity a lot at home. Here, I'm average, if not big.

3. Being without my Blackberry is freeing. Not that I'm not looking forward to getting it back.

4. Walking to get to everything is a great way to naturally exercise.  Add hills, the heat, and a 27 lb. toddler and I'm in better shape than when we left (not that that's saying much). A good public transportation system is essential for an efficient city. And, 5 weeks is not long enough to get used to people driving on the other side of the road...still looks awkward.

5. I can now qualify for a diaper changing pit crew, if one existed. I can change a diaper, no matter what it's contents and how sweaty/wet the boy is, just about anywhere.

6. Lollipops = happiness

7. Living over a Starbucks rocks. It's the one comfort from home the whole family could enjoy.

8. I could get used to having someone come in on a daily basis and vacuum, make the beds, and change out the towels.

9. Being a vegetarian in Hong Kong is challenging! More so than anywhere else I have traveled.

10. We have watched a laser light show every night at 8 o'clock across the harbor. I haven't seen a single star or the moon since we've been here. Lasers are cool, but I prefer the twinkling lights nature provides.

11. We now know what "hot" feels like! It gets hot at home, but usually for a few days before relief comes. Here, every day is the same within a degree or two. I would love to explore Hong Kong in the winter, where 70 degree weather is the norm.  Also, umbrellas are a fashion accessory here - for both the rain and the sun.

12. Skype is awesome! It was so much fun seeing and talking to our friends and family.

13. 5 weeks away from home is not long enough to cure Cole of his key obsession. Although, his hand eye coordination is now top notch as he practices unlocking our door multiple times a day.

14. The crowds here never let up and everyone has somewhere important to be - and quickly.

15. This is an adult-centered culture (at least in Central Hong Kong)...the kids here learn to adjust.  As un-kid friendly as day to day life can be, their parks and public pools are awesome and they are everywhere.

16. Part of the journey is getting lost and finding your way...over and over again.

17. Good friends can be found all over the world. I first met Lori over the Internet on a BabyCenter message board about International Moms. She is living here for 2 years and had a 4 month head start on us. Her help, guidance, and company made this trip more fun and less overwhelming for me. Our kids got along great and they look forward to becoming pen pals. Maybe a trip to Austin or Chicago are in our futures. Also, Kat, the senior lawyer for ICG Asia, grew up in Hong Kong and played the part of personal tour guide. She continually gave us advice on what to see, where to eat, and what to skip. We can't thank her enough for her help and hope she comes to visit us in Chicago soon.

18.  We can get by on so much less..the kids had only a few toys while we were here...and they were happy! They just had to get more creative. It makes me want to purge the basement and their bedrooms when we get home.

19. A water view provided a zen like feeling I never knew I was missing until I had it.


20. When talking about our trip months before it happened, the response I got from almost everybody I discussed it with was that this would be an experience of a lifetime - for the kids and for us.  That doesn't even begin to describe it.  This was the experience that will kick off a lifetime of exploration, travel, cultural immersion, and using the world as our classroom...this is just the beginning...

I have 15 hours tomorrow on the plane ride home and I'm sure I'll come up with more observations and reflections from our trip. But, for now, I need to finish packing and try to get a good night's sleep...tomorrow's going to be a LONG day (and I mean really long...we arrive in Chicago 2 hours after we leave here...going backwards in time)!




 A few photos from our last day...we had a little time to play in between the packing...


Skyler finally lost her tooth! It has been hanging, jiggling, twisting, and turning for days! 

She was so scared to lose and it ended up being drama-free. The anticipation is always worse than the action.

My almost 7 year old! Complete with make up from their play date.

Our Texas friends were kind enough to bake a cake for Skye - her birthday is Saturday. She was so surprised and was thrilled.


They tried to model the cake after one we saw at Ocean Park. They did a fantastic job!





"I pushed the butt and now I wait..."

Our last dinner in HK....do we go out for Chinese food? Nope! At Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill!



Sydney's getting good at taking pictures!






For the last time...Good night from Hong Kong
 And, a few photos just for fun of signs found in HK...












This is a sign at a beach...should just say "No Fun."





So, where does my blog go from here? I've really enjoyed writing the blog and taking pictures of our daily life. I may not post as often at home as when we were here, but I plan on keeping up with it as much as possible. I am also working out the details of starting a photography business (and website) - photographing nature and life in candid - and the blog will serve as a forum for that. I have a few other projects that I am considering, as well. I love the momentum I am feeling now for blogging and photography and want to keep up that enthusiasm doing something I am passionate about...

I have a few more pictures to take tomorrow to round out our trip...until then...

4 comments:

  1. I can't agree more with your list, especially freedom from a Blackberry, kids don't need much and loving a water view!! The HK signs are hilarious and I am confused by most of them! :) Safe travels home and look forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Blog has been my favorite summer read! Thanks for sharing a little bit of HK with us! Your photos are awesome! Ditto on the speedos :) and loved the red panda pictures!! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. more, please! i would love to keep up with you guys via your writing on this blog.

    we so thoroughly enjoyed spending time with you guys these past few weeks, and we miss you already. all the adventures hk has to offer are much better when shared!

    i hope everyone survived the flight well and are settling back into your home groove.

    ReplyDelete