Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Here We Go

If you asked me six months ago what we would be doing this summer, I would have replied with our regular summer routine - lazy days with lots of hours logged in at the pool, time with friends, day trips to parks, the zoo, etc. I would have been more than content with that plan. I love the lolly gagging days of summer with my kids. But, six months ago, that all changed. My husband, Todd (much more adventurous than me), approached me with the idea of taking our three children, ages 2, 6 1/2, and 8 1/2, to Hong Kong for the summer.  My first reaction was a quick, "no," as my mind was immediately filling with lists...lots of lists... of everything that would need to be done and all of the complexities involved in every decision to get us there. So, that's where it sat for awhile. Until...every obstacle and problem I could think of as to why this wasn't a good idea was counter acted by very logical responses from Todd. Between that and the advice of my closest friends and family telling me this is an opportunity I would be crazy to turn down leads me to where I am sitting today.  In exactly one week, the five of us, along with my 18 year old sister-in-law, Noelle, will be on an airplane and flying 15 hours direct from Chicago to Hong Kong. On an anxiety level scale of 1 to 10, I sit somewhere between 11 and a thousand.  I want this to be a memorable experience for my kids - one they look back on fondly and one that may instill the same adventurous spirit their father has - the desire to see the world, to experience different cultures, to realize life is more than their country, their state, their city, their house and the way we and those around us live.  So, in hopes to be as prepared as possible, I will spend this week packing for Hong Kong and packing for the flight over there, hoping I choose the right supplies to keep three kids somewhat entertained and calm for 15 hours all while planning what to do once we get there.  This blog will serve a few different purposes. First, it will chronicle our adventures through photos and stories. It will also be the jump start I needed to begin a blog, something I'v been wanting to do for years, and hope to continue long after we are home. So, here we go - both to Hong kong and to entering the blogosphere. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome first entry! Look forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that once the shock wears off, you will have the time of your life here. i am looking forward to meeting you and helping send you and your fam onto some great adventures here!

    ReplyDelete